about

12/Keyword%20Discussion/ticker-posts

About Acceptance: Discussion & Guide

In this article, we provide links to all related information, from definitions to practical applications.


Overview

For me, acceptance intertwines with forgiveness. When angry, I ask, "Are you sad?". In fear, I console my despairing self. On my trust journey, consciously attempting to forgive was key, making it my top tool in understanding true acceptance. 

What is Acceptance?

Acceptance, in essence, refers to the act of embracing a state, particularly one that might be negative or uncomfortable, without attempting to change or protest against it. It signifies the act of 'acknowledging'.

The crux of acceptance lies in recognizing life events, especially unpleasant experiences or emotions, without resisting them. It can be viewed as a surrender to the present moment.

Yet, many individuals find it challenging to wholly accept themselves, often due to reasons such as guilt, trauma, or a lack of motivation.

Buddhist teachings emphasize the idea that "all of life is suffering." This philosophy encourages embracing suffering and challenges as inescapable parts of life.
Reference:【Acceptance - Wikipedia】 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceptance

Acceptance and Forgiveness

In my life, acceptance and forgiveness are profoundly intertwined. Often, when I can't accept something, it's because an underlying sentiment of 'unforgiveness' is present. My journey to acceptance often starts with a resignation of 'it can't be helped,' evolving into a more comforting 'it's okay.' On my quest for 'trust and reassurance,' the most potent action I leveraged, drawing upon my mind and consciousness, was the 'effort to forgive.'

I often refer to a part of me as the 'left shoulder of sorrow.' There's a sensation of a presence nestled between my left shoulder and chest. Engaging with this entity, I feel embraced and healed. When anger stirs within me, I turn to that spot and gently inquire, 'Are you sad?'

Furthermore, my aspiration to communicate attentively can sometimes morph into a compulsive need for perfection. As a result, I expect the same level of flawlessness from colleagues or partners to whom I delegate tasks. This tendency often spreads as contagious anxiety. The initial step for me is to acknowledge this anxiety, coexist with it, and calmly understand my genuine intent of dealing with things meticulously. I find peace residing alongside my anxieties.

When emotions mutually resonate to such an extent that it's hard to distinguish whose feelings they originally were, I started resorting to the act of self-forgiveness as a way forward.

Related Articles:【acceptance: If I told my little one】

The Key to the Desire for Recognition

The desire for recognition reflects the level of social evaluation and interest we seek. Our yearning to be accepted and acknowledged by others is closely tied to psychological stability, the enhancement of self-evaluation, and our overall sense of self-esteem.

The significance of self-acceptance lies in honestly recognizing and embracing our flaws, past decisions, and current state. It serves as a foundational element to mature our desire for recognition and to achieve true self-evaluation. By doing so, one can maintain inner stability without being swayed by external evaluations and reactions. Embracing this form of self-acceptance is the first step towards true self-recognition, leading to profound psychological stability and happiness.

difficult-to-accept unresolved issues

Unbeknownst to me, I fear many things: being abandoned, isolation, being forced into compliance, imperfection, rejection, contempt, shame, guilt, and failure. The specific fears vary depending on the situation. By carefully observing my emotions, I can feel the sensation of these hard-to-accept fears. In a nutshell, it's "unpleasant."

This sensation acts as a warning sign at a crossroads. There are two directions for acceptance. One is to think, "I don't like this," but to accept with a refreshing sense of resignation. The other is to accept the uncomfortable part of myself, making sure not to take on too much responsibility, and reject it. While these two directions are difficult to grasp in words, by observing my physical sensations and emotions on a daily basis, I've gradually become aware of the burdensome patterns.

Core Components of Empathy

When I realize and accept that my feelings of aversion, fear, and anger are not due to others' actions but stem from my own malevolent parts and weaknesses, I am able to discover and recognize a part of myself that I had previously ignored. Through this realization, the once-isolated part of me finds its place and can be acknowledged. This signifies an act of empathy towards myself, indicating that the hidden part of me receives empathy. Situations where the boundaries between my emotions and those of others are unclear, and I can't discern whose emotions they are, are crucial in my process of empathy. Empathy lacking this element might not be genuine.

When viewing empathy from the perspective of self-acceptance, one can deeply resonate with another's psychological state through emotional contagion. In this process, it's essential to blur the boundaries between oneself and others while maintaining an appropriate sense of distance. Within this balance, recognizing and forgiving becomes an act of accepting both oneself and the other simultaneously, leading to a positive conclusion

Bridging the Gap: Emotional Contagion and Self-Acceptance

When I reflect on the keywords I've been interested in over time, such as diversity, inclusion, well-being, knowledge management, psychological safety, agile, leadership, stewardship, and design thinking, a commonality emerges. Both for myself and those around me, there has been a lack of concrete understanding and specific strategies regarding emotional contagion and self-acceptance.
Related Articles:【About Emotional Contagion: Discussion & Guide】