about

12/Keyword%20Discussion/ticker-posts

Case Study: Life, Our Grandest Project: The Case of Buying My Own Home

Introduction:

Within the project that is my life, one of the most significant milestones was the process of commissioning a custom-built home. It wasn't just about creating a place to live. It was a reflection of my dreams, desires, and the life I envisioned for myself.

Timeless Wisdom from Ancient Shrines

I recall a visit to a shrine, which had served to protect people's lives. For 400 years, the tradition has affirmed this place as sacred. Buildings that have withstood the test of time in areas prone to natural disasters like tsunamis or eruptions are proof of their stable locations.

Standing before the shrine, a profound message overwhelmed me. It felt as if the structure was directly communicating, its silent voice echoing across the ages.

Through my home, I felt the potential to convey a message a thousand years into the future. Compared to the daunting span of time that needs to be considered for Finland's radioactive waste disposal site 'Onkalo', the future might seem to come in the blink of an eye. I've decided to make a lasting impression through a hybrid of words and architecture, kickstarting the tradition of oral transmission.

Even if it doesn't get passed on, that's okay. After all, there's nothing I can do about it by then. The mere possibility brings me joy. It's something of a prayer.

Messages I Wanted to Convey

  • Never rest in places lower than this.
  • Ensure you always have a view of the sea.

My children, the grandchildren who are yet to be born, and the generations to come are my irreplaceable treasures.

The act of "living" and merely "surviving" are different. It's something we often take for granted.

I wished for this house to serve as a sanctuary—a safe haven, a place where you feel its presence protecting you.

With these sentiments, I entrusted an architect to incorporate this legacy into the building's design.