about

12/Keyword%20Discussion/ticker-posts

Practicing Emotional Metacognition


I would like to introduce practices that I've personally implemented and felt their effects.

In terms of robotics, it's like the sensors that detect the environment and conditions. Similar to debugging tools in programming, it captures the necessary data about one's current state and position for analysis.

As I became more attuned to my emotions, I started to notice shifts instantaneously, often without any conscious effort. This acute awareness, combined with repeated experiences, allowed me to identify patterns that correlated with environmental changes accompanying my emotional swings. This enabled me to construct a flowchart, detailing conditional branches and state transitions.

Furthermore, sequences identified by predecessors, such as expectation > betrayal > conceit > meddling > resignation, or denial > anger > bargaining > depression > acceptance, provided additional insights. When juxtaposed with my own experiences, these sequences became more robust. I discerned the subtle intricacies and pivotal moments within these sequences, internalized them, and then adapted them to fit my unique perspective.

The exploration and understanding of my inner world subsequently led to gaining insights into the external world.

Related Articles:【Observing the Extreme User Within】

#Simple Explanation: If I told my little one

Finding the Magic When Feelings Change

First, sit quiet and talk to your heart.
Find the way to feel happy and calm. Feeling light in your chest and head.
Keep this happy feeling safe!

And if you start to feel a bit sad or mixed up, try to notice it fast.

If you keep trying, you'll learn when and why you feel different.
What friends or teachers often say about you can be a big hint!

Related Articles:【Exercise: The Simple 'Being' - Tuning into Your True Self】


Introspection

I simply recognize states such as sensations, physicality, cognition, and emotions as they are. It's like pointing to them within my mind. I become acutely aware even of unintended thoughts that spring to mind. I realize that not all of my consciousness is truly 'me'.

Related Articles:【About Meditation】
Related Articles:【Emotional Metacognition: For the Programmer】

Identifying Emotions

I used Plutchik's Wheel of Emotions as a guide, simply pointing to my current feeling.

Initially, it was ambiguous and difficult to pinpoint, but it was more important to direct my awareness towards my emotions rather than being perfect. In challenging moments, I often realized I was experiencing two emotions simultaneously.

Reference:【Robert Plutchik - Wikipedia】 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Plutchik

Recalling dreams upon waking

While sleeping, events that I've never consciously pondered unfold in my mind. I am the creator of these scenarios. Within them might lie emotions I've previously denied or insights that challenge my steadfast beliefs. While it seems there might be a pattern to these visions, I can't pinpoint them with certainty. I simply acknowledge what I've witnessed and want to convey that I'm attuning to this other "me" within. It feels akin to a form of prayer. Dreaming while asleep feels just as vital as dreaming while awake.


Analyzing Recognized Perceptions

I compare the emotions and physical sensations I've recognized with my personal database of experiences, considering the extent of biases and deep-seated influences.
Related Articles:【Practicing As-Is Analysis of Emotions】

A guide to interpreting what you perceive

I found that the nine personality types and their nine levels of health, as described in the Enneagram book written by Riso, were the most accurate in real-life situations. These patterns shed light on unresolved issues one might be defensively holding onto, the intensity of the mental strain, and a guideline for the behaviors likely to be exhibited in that mental state. This database of emotional and behavioral experiences proves useful when inferring emotions from others' actions.

If I were limited to bringing just one book to a project site, this would be my choice.
Reference: 新版 エニアグラム【基礎編】 自分を知る9つのタイプ 
Reference: The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types


Recognizing and Evolving Through Cognitive Distortions

I recognize that our cognition inevitably harbors some form of distortion or bias. These often arise from an intrinsic desire to defend unresolved issues within myself or from an urge to control others. While categorizing people's behaviors or personalities might seem efficient at a glance, a deeper probe is necessary for genuine understanding. Such simplifications have their utility but come with many pitfalls. Embracing this, I initiate actions with a minimal understanding and scope, and iteratively refine based on feedback from the environment.

Every so often, I am starkly reminded of my cognitive distortions, overwhelmed by feelings of regret, shame, and guilt. I am also acutely aware of the dangers of striving for perfection, constantly working to maintain a balanced perspective. It's crucial for me to accept the current limits of my knowledge and skills and to place importance on self-assessment within these confines.

With the continual recognition of my knowledge and capability limits, as well as the emotions of unease, shame, and guilt associated with the unknown, I aim to deepen my understanding of what I can achieve and its effects, ever eager to evolve.